Thursday, October 9, 2008

Tribal Tagging Self-Portraits in IB Art

My name is Leighton McDonald and I am a Senior in a Higher Level IB class. I have taken IB art for 2 years and am now in my second year. This is a self portrait done in acrylic on wood canvas. This piece took me about one school week to complete. I began to express my new "electronic tribal" style in this piece. This new style makes the painting pop and it makes it seem busy but not to busy that it takes away from the main focus of the painting. The facial details contain many other colors that minor artists would not originally use. Purples, yellows, reds, and greens helped me build the facial shading that I originally wanted. The bold lines that surround the face make the face seem like a comic book illustration. In a recent critique, another artist said that the lines make that painting look 3- dimensional in a way. After wondering what made the painting pop, i came to the conclusion that the artist was right. The bold lines completely changed the way the painting looks. The lines and colors on the outside of the face were a free style of my imagination. I didn't purposefully mean to freestyle the painting, but I'm glad I did. I have gotten many great comments about the painting, but I still think there could be something else done to it.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

It makes me think of the Statue of Liberty when I look at it. Love the colors!

Anonymous said...

I agree that the dramatic, bold lines around the face are great. It really defines the strength of the central image. To bad tagging is illegal, because I would love to turn a corner and see this. Maybe an album cover instead...