Monday, March 23, 2009

A Self-Portrait with Baltimore Swagg

What's Gucci!
My name is Monet Johnson, I'm a junior and I'm currently in Art 3 in my favorite teacher Mr.Ragland's first block class.  
I did this self portrait from a photo that I uploaded and printed from my cell phone. It took me a little over a week to complete and was not too difficult. I was happy finally get back to drawing since I have been working with watercolor and spray paint. Drawing is definitely my forte. I've always been drawing although I didn't take my first art class until my tenth grade year. This semester in art I'm supposed to develop a concentration and do twenty pieces. My concentration is "Salvation is possible for anyone". It consists of ties to religion,  garish hip hop themes, city scenes, and bright colors.

  This photo was black and white with high contrast. I was riding in the car with my boyfriend, Stannez, and the sun was shining on my face. I was very joyous and people have told me that it shows on the picture.My eyes were the easiest part of the drawing and the highlights in my hair were the hardest. I had to correct a lot in my nose and mouth areas. I was trying to draw them how they were "supposed" to look rather than drawing them how they looked in reality. When I did the highlights in my hair I had to erase pretty much all of it and start over. Those who know me, know that I love big bamboo earrings and doorknockers so the earrings we my favorite part to do. If I could have done anything different I would've done something more interesting with the background in the lower right portion. Also, my teeth look kind of dark and nasty compared to the light along the left side of my face. I should have made them lighter; they are pretty white in real life (not to sound too conceited). When I look at the picture I think about how me and my boyfriend were wearing matching military shirts that day. When I asked Mr.Ragland what I needed to change or improve he asked "Do you want me to be very, very picky?" and I said "Yeah" and trust me, he did. Mr.Davis also helped me with my eyes. I thank them for their input to make my picture beautiful. 
I am a perfectionist and I never think my work is good enough. However, I can truly say that my picture is finished. I think it shows my personality and lives up to the potential of my Baltimore swagg.

4 comments:

Suzan C. said...

Monet! I love this!!! You worked really hard on it and it shows. I think you captured what a happy person you are. I have seen you grow a lot these past years in art and look forward to having you in my class next year!

Gregg said...

Monet, you write so well! This is an awesomely done drawing, and your explanation makes it even more enjoyable. Impressive!

donna norman said...

Wow! Monet this is awesomely incredible. You are amazingly talented. Congrats on a beautiful portrait!

Anonymous said...

Wow Monet, I had no idea that you were an artist! Your drawing is fantastic!

Keep up the great work!

ajenkins