Wednesday, February 25, 2009

OH NOES!!1 I CAN HAS SCARY FACE JUG!

I'm Maddie Fuller and I'm in the 11th grade. I took Ceramics last year, and am taking Art 1 this year. I really enjoy ceramics, but I also love sketching and painting. I'm going to take Art 2 next year.
For this assignment, I took a huge chunk of clay and made two pinch pots of the same size. Then I attached the pinch pots to make a hollow globe. I wanted my face jug to have a tongue spout, rather than a regular spout. I tried to incorporate the spout into the face of the jug, so I decided a tongue would be the best way to do that. I kind of accidentally slammed it on the table, and it made the bottom slant. I noticed that this made it look like a slug, so I decided to make the top of the jug into the face. Mr. Davis suggested that I add horns, and I liked the way they turned out. The teeth are made of broken white ceramic tiles.
For the glazes, I decided to make it look as realistic as possible. I used natural colors for the skin and tongue, and painted in the eyes so it looks like it's staring at you. This assignment was a really good way to start with clay in Art 1 - it teaches you all of the basic techniques, and they're really easy. I think this is one of my best pieces.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maddie, thank you for the smile. Your face jug is a cute little devil! I can't wait to see this in person!

ajenkins

Anonymous said...

That's the cutest little jug ever.

Gregg said...

My wife says that it looks like one of the fire ants in our back yard, except smaller.

Unknown said...

Maddie, using broken tile pieces for the teeth, I think, was a great idea. It has personality and needs a name, don't you think?

MR. T