Thursday, February 26, 2009

Spartan Spikes in Art 2

Hey, my name is Amanda Shahan, I'm in the 10th grade, and I'm in Mr. Davis's Art 2 class. I named my piece "Spartan Spikes." We were given the assignment of making face jugs and my mind began to think creatively. I love medieval and dark clay pieces so i wanted to relate my face jug to that. I want to thank Mr. Markievich for helping me throughout the assignment. Without him this wouldn't have been possible. I first made two pinch pots that were close to being the same size, and then placed them together to make the head. I wanted to find a way to make a Spartan helmet hanging down off his face. So I then made a neck by making a coil pot, and then smoothed the pot into a triangular form. To make the helmet possible, I made many slabs of clay that I combined to make a helmet. A lot of slip was involved to keep the heavy slabs on. You can't really notice the spikes in his mouth due to the picture being so dark, but I cut small pieces of paperclips with a wire cutter and pierced them through the clay inside of his mouth. I myself thought that the eyes were a challenge because I wanted them to bulge out to make him more medieval scary. I first took a clay tool that looked like a tiny hook and scraped away the clay to make the eyes sink in, but then I placed the excess clay to make the eyes bulge out and give it the look of a medieval scary face jug.  The one thing that you might want to watch out for while doing this process is to be mindful of how much you take away because of cave-ins. To make the eyes bulge I took a slab the size of my pinky finger and made that the white part of the eye. I then took another tiny slab half the size of the first one and made that the iris. To make the pupil I simply took a detail paintbrush and spun it smoothly on the tiny slab. You could also use a tool to get the same effect. When it comes to the magnificent color of my clay project, I used a glaze called "Black Ice".  This glaze is a lot thicker and usually only needs one coat. Compared to last years clay pots in Art 1, I think I've improved astronomically. So far I can honestly say that this is my best piece of art this year, due to the fact I spent an extreme amount of time on it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...Oh my goodness!!!!!! I'm still in shock of how fantastic your medieval face jug is!!! Your work is fantastic! I have a fondness for teaching the Middle Ages and Renaissance and am impressed with your attention to the details of the time period! Wow! I can't wait to see this in person.

Thanks for sharing our thought process, it makes the piece all the more fascinating!

Great Work!

ajenkins

Unknown said...

Amanda, great piece. The Black Ice glaze gives it a really "powerful" appearance that reflects some of the mystery that can be associated with the Middle Ages and like pieces.

MR. T