Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Color Reduction Linocuts in Art 1



Hi everyone! My name is Tiffany R. Kijsamnong (kis-sam-nong). I am in the 12th grade, in Art 1 class with Mr. Ragland. This was my first time ever to do this type of printmaking. I call this print "Twisted Cubs". The reason for this name is because you can actually look at the picture in any way, and it still looks like 2 cubs playing (which was my intention). This took a bit of work and time. The process took a lot of pencil drawing at first, then transferring the drawing to the linoleum, tracing over the pencil lines with a sharpie, then cutting out sections of the linoleum with a cutting tool. We used a lot of ink. You can see I used the colors dark yellow, magenta, and black. I had to think about the colors in reverse and focus on hatching techniques for value. I didn't expect it to come out the way it did, but it worked out great. The things I would change if I could is maybe a little more detail and texture. I'd also like to try more than 4 colors. I really enjoy printmaking! One day I hope to continue this kind of thing in college. It's a really fun thing to experience and do. Art in general is an amazing thing. Not only the work, but the history. Give it a try sometime, you will find the fun in it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it baby, i want it in a frame and put on our future house's wall. :) keep it up! i know you can achieve anything no matter what gets in your way. i love you!

Anonymous said...

Tiffany, what a beautiful piece of art!!!! I love the color, the design, the concept of playing foxes, I love it all! Your writing is well done too. It is always nice to have an artist that can easily explain what he/she did to accomplish their task.

Keep up the incredible work. I wish you had taken Art prior to your senior year...you have a great deal of talent that can be developed over time.

ajenkins

Anonymous said...

Haha... You put that ugly picture of me up here... Why?!?!?!
Anyways. This was fun stuff to do.
Didn't cut myself once to make you feel sick or anything. yay!
Anyways, I enjoyed this project thingy.

-Tiffany K

Anonymous said...

We are proud of your accomplishments. You are very talented.