Thursday, November 6, 2008

Starry Night Ceramics in IB

My name is Chad Tomberlin. I am influenced greatly by my surroundings, while at the same time I try to find ways to incorporate an emotional aspect. The name Starry Night was a last minute decision. However, when i glazed the pot later on, it seemed to match perfectly. The current picture doesn't show the glaze - just the product after a bisque firing. When building this, I was going for a very simplistic style. At the same time, I wanted to incorporate something that would give movement to the piece. It took about 4 days to build the form and another week to sand it to perfection. Needless to say, I didn't attempt to build another piece for another month or so. This was an older one; however, I believe this was a turning point in my work from jumbled-up style in smaller pieces to a more elegant yet simple style.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chad,
This is great! I am very impressed. :) You'll have to show me more pictures of your work sometime!
Heather (Brent's gf)

Anonymous said...

That's my brother! I am so glad he has some artistic ability because I have zero!

Suzan C. said...

Casey! I am glad you saw this! Chad is so talented...he has some new pieces that I will have to post on here.

Anonymous said...

It is so cool to see such a simple, clean, pieceful piece come from a sophisticated, groovy, energetic young man. Your talent in ceramics is absolutely AMAZING. I've never seen a piece you've created that I didn't admire.

This piece in particular is so incredible. The name Starry Night is perfect. The addition of the "wave curls" (not sure what you call them) at the opening of the vase is cool! The black glaze with taupe makes it even more beautiful!

Are you willing to sale this piece? If so, how much?

ajenkins

Unknown said...

Chad, I'm always impressed with your work. I feel honored to have a Tomberlin original in my room. Can't wait to see more!

Mr. T