Tuesday, November 18, 2008

IB Self-Portrait: part deux

Dark, glowing colors and contrast illuminate the Dubai skyline. Colors crash against the blue glass of the tallest skyscrapers that took only months to build.
Bold outlines drag the colors out of the painting. Many of them are "dark and disturbing," as many say about some of my previous works. I am Leighton McDonald, the painter of the Tribal Tagged Self-Portrait. This painting took me four days(school days) to complete. Everything was done with acrylic paints. On certain areas of the paintings I used the high gloss to brighten and distinguish the acrylics for where and what they were used for. Again, I did not start with the background. Glad "Press-and-Seal" helps me to do my backgrounds with ease and precision. I just paint on top of the paper, and peel it after five minutes of application to reduce the chances of bleeding paint. The water consists of deep purples, light blue, marine blue and white. This is where the High-Gloss Emboss was used. I used a sponge to give the water a wave layer, making the water look even more transparent. Since I never follow the unwritten rules of art and never start with the background, I did decide to try "layering" the background and it turned out perfect for me. This is my 4th studio this year, and this blog can expect to see many more in the near future.

5 comments:

Mr. Ragland said...

Great job, Leighton. Keep it up, man. Who knows where you'll be by the end of the year?

Suzan C. said...

Leighton, I am so proud! That's all I can say! So very proud!

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow! You are sooooooo talented! I love this! How much would you charge for this painting?

Vibrant colors with the black are just breath taking! Love this one!

ajenkins

Anonymous said...

Wow- this is really gorgeous. Great contrast and what an awesome self portrait. You have a wonderful talent.

Anonymous said...

Chic! this photo be dat ish the thing that stands out the most to me is the different colors that make the portrait of you stand out boldly and thats what seperates this piece of work from normal art work great talent!

O'B