Thursday, November 20, 2008

Winter Scenes in Art 1

Hello, my name is Anna Dieringer. I am a freshman at Woodmont High. I am in Mrs. Cauble's Art 1 class. Ever since I can remember I have loved to draw. I started taking private art classes in Michigan, where I used to live, when I was twelve years old. When I moved here in August of 2008, I decided that I could start drawing on my own. The assignment was to choose a picture and change three things about it in the background. I picked the picture of a squirrel and I changed the acorn that the squirrel was eating into a Christmas light. Then, I drew lights "growing" on the branches. Because I wanted the lights to stand out I chose to shade the entire picture in graphite pencil. I only painted the lights. I really enjoyed this project because I learned that I can draw really well without having to ask my art instructor what to do. I did this project in two days of art class.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Replacing the acrons with christmas lights was an awesome idea! I love this piece!

ajenkins

Anonymous said...

Automatically my eyes are drawn to the christmas lights in the squirrls hand and on the tree branches. There is definate contrast between the black and white of pencil and the different colors of the painted lights. The technique used is definatly unique using a pensil to draw the quirrl, tree, and branches while painting the christmas lights. This picture makes me chuckle a bit when I look at it. The christmas lights lead my eye from place to place. Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

whoa, i love this picture!! i also love squirrels so im an automatic fan of this one...Your shading is amazing and the idea with the bulbs made the picture stand out. Terrific job!!!

Unknown said...

I love the squirrel! And with Christmas light acorns, I wish I had a copy of this to hang up in my home for the holidays!

Anonymous said...

This looks just like a special squirrel I saw at Thanksgiving, I have a picture of my nephew holding it! I really like the light=acorn analogy! Very clever! Keep drawing, you have talent and a sharp wit, 2 important ingredients for success! Best Wishes! g.fitzgerald

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic idea with the squirrel and Christmas. Of course, the contrast between the colors and the pencil is great. I know the perfection is something that shows thru not only in the drawing but also in life. Keep up the good work. Grandma Fitz